Friday, May 4, 2007

Podcasting

I am having so much fun this week . Instead of feeling like a fish out of water, I actually know something about podcasts already. Hooray for me! In fact, about 3 years ago I bought my first MP3 player from a colleague's son. It was nice becuase it already had music on it. It took me hours and hours but I was able to download audiobooks from Overdrive from the KCLS website onto it. I love this service because I can listen on my own timeline and don't have to worry about overdue fees. Then, I got a subscription to Audible so I could expand my collection. Sadly, my MP3 player was incompatible with Audible. So, I had to get an Ipod, of course! Well, after a year of Audible service I canceled it. But, I still wanted to be able to put new content on my Ipod. Thank goodness for podcasts. I have more content than I have time to listen to and it's all FREE. How cool is that?! Some of my subscriptions are ABC World News, NBC Meet the Press, NPR Fresh Air, NPR Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Real Time with Bill Maher and The Satellite Sisters. Another great thing about MP3 players is that with a cassette adapter I can listen to them in my car. The RSS feeds I added to my bloglines for this round are Harry Potter Prognostications and LibVibe. It was hard to find material that is currently being updated. For many podcasts their last posting was months or even years ago. The LibVibe's most recent podcast was about Jim Rettig the new ALA president elected last week. I have to admit I was a little surprised when I did a keyword search on "library" and one of the top responses was "Erotic Xpressions from the Lusty Library." Yikes, I think I even blushed a little at my desk.

No comments: