Friday, April 27, 2007

Lesson #19, Library 2.0

Our instructions for this lesson are to blog a bit about 2.0, so that is what I will do! I read all the articles and I think at times the concepts they tout and their directions are at odds with each other. For example, the gentleman listing the "icebergs" or barriers claims that we should make technology so simple that our patrons don't need education. I read that as I am sitting at my computer taking part in a 27-lesson, 3 to 4- month training process and I am a trained professional. Yes, there are many patrons who are familiar with and already using this technology, but I think there are also just as many who aren't. Let's use the technology highlighted in Learning 2.o to make the tech savvy users welcome, but not at the cost of making others feel unwelcome. There are still many patrons who only use the library to check out books and media and that is okay. I did particularly enjoy the last section of the last article (http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/6.htm) about Library 4.0. Where can I sign up for that? It sounds like my kind of library.

No comments: